On December 20, 1932, William E. Aubuchon, Sr. formed his first Corporation to consolidate his expanded real estate holdings. After growing his operating hardware stores to six locations, coupled with several residential investment properties, he anticipated a need for distributing his own hardware goods. “Warehouse B” pictured here in Fitchburg, MA was one of the first pieces of commercial real estate owned by the Aubuchon Realty Company, Inc.
Over three decades the Aubuchon Realty Company’s portfolio begins to form, with nearly two dozen acquisitions during this time period, totaling approximately 150,000 Sq. Ft in five states throughout New England. In addition to hardware tenancy, 50,000 square feet of the portfolio included rental apartments set above commercial space in traditional “mixed-use” investment property.
Moving beyond hardware occupancy, a new era of real estate development was underway for the Company. The 1976 purchase of land in Fitchburg, MA leads to the first of three phases of commercial real estate development, known as Parkhill Plaza. Pictured above in its initial phase, the buildings are expanded over the decade, eventually resulting in a total of 45,000 square feet.
With the largest development project to date complete, the Company continues its real estate acquisitions and redevelopment projects. This period brings eight other New England and upstate NY investments, increasing the portfolio by 150,000 square feet with the accumulation of a growing hardware anchor, along with local banks, service-based retailers, and local convenience uses like exercise, laundromats, and banks. Aubuchon Realty Company, Inc. expands into property and lease management for its growing rent roll.
During this period the retailing requirements for Aubuchon Hardware accelerated, with a variety of ground up developments culminating in a new 100,000 Sq. Ft. added to the portfolio in prime New England / hardware addresses. The Company also undergoes its first branding refresh in many decades, adopting the New England states as its logo, with the tagline “Commercial Real Estate Development – Since 1932”
As Management and its Board of Directors expand to the 4th generation, the Company invests and develops in a variety of non-hardware properties in the Metro Boston and NH region, pivoting strategy to a more focused acquisitions program.